Pam Rocker is an atypical activist, award-winning writer, spoken word poet, musician and speaker. She was also chosen as one of Calgary's Top 40 Under 40!
LGBTQ2S+ equality, faith, love, and hard laughter are my passions.
I seek to communicate with humanity and humour, and to challenge prejudice in non-prescript ways.
I've had training in playwrighting, screenwriting, marketing, and theology in the US and Canada, but life and experience have been my best teachers.
For many years I've worked for the full inclusion of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) people in faith communities and beyond. That sounds serious, and it is. But laughter and story are the most powerful tools we have, and are integrated into everything I do.
The process of taking serious and sometimes controversial topics, and drawing out their essence into something we can all connect to, learn from, and find joy within, is my greatest goal.
Whether through speaking, writing, consulting, playing music, or teaching workshops, I create experiences that truly engage and connect people of all kinds.
Want to work with me? Contact me here and we'll talk!
Projects, PAST AND PRESENT
Collaboration and partnerships are vital to me and to all of our communities. I've been honoured to work and create alongside brilliant and compassionate people who have a deep desire to make the world a better place.
Selected work includes:
- Chair, The Observer Magazine
- Committee Member, PechaKucha Calgary
- Unconventional Panel panelist, CBC Radio Calgary
- Host of BLOOM Awards - Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion
- Past President, Affirm United/S'affirmer Ensemble (National organization working for full inclusion of all people within the United Church and Society)
- Playwright: heterophobia
- Co-Founder, Human RITES Conference
- Creator and Director, Coming Out In Faith Monologues
- Panelist, Leadership Exchange Conference, University of Calgary
- Allies Toolkit Conference (Calgary Queer Arts Society)
- Unabridged Conference, Lethbridge, AB
- Instructor YOUth Riot, YouthWrite
- Professional Development Instructor, LGBTQ+ Inclusion, Corporate, Non-Profit, Education
- Cast Member, Over The Rainbow Documentary, Camp fYrefly
- Subject, The Faith of Pam Rocker, Calgary Journal (Finalist, Multimedia Feature of the Year, Associated Collegiate Press)
- Contributor, Fishing Tips; How Curiosity Transformed a Community of Faith, by Rev. Dr. John Pentland
See media page for press coverage and interviews.
Featured on and worked with: