Pam Rocker is an atypical activist, award-winning writer, spoken word poet, and speaker. She was also chosen as one of Calgary's Top 40 Under 40!
LGBTQ+ equality, faith, love, and hard laughter are my passions.
I seek to communicate with humanity and humour, and to challenge prejudice in non-prescript ways.
I've had training in playwrighting, screenwriting, marketing, and theology in the US and Canada, but life and experience have been my best teachers.
For many years I've worked for the full inclusion of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) people in faith communities and beyond. That sounds serious, and it is. But laughter and story are the most powerful tools we have, and are integrated into everything I do.
The process of taking serious and sometimes controversial topics, and drawing out their essence into something we can all connect to, learn from, and find joy within, is my greatest goal.
Whether through speaking, writing, consulting, performing poetry, or teaching workshops, I create experiences that truly engage and connect people of all kinds.
Want to work with me? Contact me here and we'll talk!
Projects, PAST AND PRESENT
Collaboration and partnerships are vital to me and to all of our communities. I've been honoured to work and create alongside brilliant and compassionate people who have a deep desire to make the world a better place.
Selected work includes:
- Vice-Chair, The Observer Magazine
- Committee Member, PechaKucha Calgary
- Unconventional Panel panelist, CBC Radio Calgary
- Past President, Affirm United/S'affirmer Ensemble (National organization working for full inclusion of all people within the United Church and Society)
- Playwright: heterophobia
- Co-Founder, Human RITES Conference
- Director, Coming Out In Faith Monologues (The Coming Out Monologues YYC)
- Allies Toolkit Conference (FairyTales Film Festival)
- Unabridged Conference, Lethbridge, AB
- Co-Producer, Take Back Halloween (Urban Curvz Theatre, Hillhurst United Church)
- Instructor (Teaching topics include: writing, social media, spoken word poetry, power of story): YOUth Riot - Third Street Theatre, YouthWrite, Antyx Community Arts, My World Conference (Calgary Board of Education),
- Professional Development Instructor, LGBTQ+ Inclusion, Various Schools
- Cast Member, Over The Rainbow Documentary, Camp fYrefly
- Subject, The Faith of Pam Rocker, Calgary Journal (Finalist, Multimedia Feature of the Year, Associated Collegiate Press)
- Contributor, Fishing Tips; How Curiosity Transformed a Community of Faith, by Rev. Dr. John Pentland
- Affirming Church/Affirming Community Video, Hillhurst United Church
- Performer/Writer, 10-Minute Play Festival, High Performance Rodeo
- Performer/Writer, Girls Gone Wilde, Urban Curvz Theatre
See media page for press coverage and interviews.